Sunday, March 29, 2009

Healthy home, healthy you

We are all constantly hearing about what we should and should not be doing to try and save our planet. We know you do honestly care, but let's face it we all get a little too busy to actually do anything. But I can guarantee that if you knew of a few green actions that would mean more green in your wallet, you'd find a way to play a more active role even with a busy lifestyle.

SAVE MONEY ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILL:

Replace all of your traditional light bulbs in your home with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. At least replace the five most frequently used lights in your home with CFL's.
I know you may have heard this a thousand times before, but this simple move is guaranteed to not only waste alot less energy but also keep your hard earned dollars in your wallet!
YES, the bulbs are a little pricier than your regular light bulbs but they are guaranteed to last to last at least two years. If one blows before that, the manufacture will replace it. Basically, you use less energy so you save on your electric bill and you won't have to buy more light bulbs for at least two years!

Another way to keep your money in it's rightful place (your wallet) when it comes to your electric bill is to unplug any electrical devices around the home that are not being used! Believe it of not just because your device is off doesn't mean that it isn't sucking up power, raising your electric bill. I like to use surge protectors so that I don't have to unplug everything, I simply turn the strip off! I also have devices that are not used often, such as our VCR, that I only plug in when we do use it. I always unplug my coffee maker once my coffee is done. I have other ways of telling time and really don't need it on 24/7. For those that use the programing feature on their coffee maker, set it up before you go to sleep and unplug it in the morning before you leave for work. Does it really need to be on all day? I also always unplug my cell phone charger once it's done charging. If my phone is not attached to it, I am needlessly wasting energy keeping my charger plugged in. We also use the old fashioned method of air drying some of our clothes.

I know you maybe thinking that it's impossible to save the world while saving money. I will share with you that my electric bill averages $70. Not bad for a 2 story house. the family and I watch TV, I charge my phone, use a coffee maker, microwave, wash and dry my clothes, use my computer, charge the cordless phones, etc.

Another simple thing you can do during those nice sunny days is open your windows and use nature to illuminate your home!

SAVE MONEY ON YOUR HEATING BILL:

We all know the old use a programmable thermostat rule, right? In the middle of winter there is really no reason why the thermostat should HAVE to be over 68 degrees. Any degree above that will significantly raise your heating bill. The heat can also be turned down even lower for times that there will be no one in the home. And no matter how cold it is at night, the thermostat can actually be turned down a few degrees when everyone is sleeping. When we are sleeping our bodies do not require as much heat to stay warm. Plus we have all those blankets and comforters that we hide under.

Another way to help out with your heating bill is to not have to heat up so much water. Let me make something clear to you: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BOIL YOUR UNMENTIONABLES TO GET THEM CLEAN!

You will be perfectly fine washing all of your threads in cold water. Washing you clothes in hot water can cost up to 9 times as much per load, and warm water will cost up to 5 times as much. The water, soap, and agitation are all you really need for all of your clothes to come out clean.

There are a few things, such as oily stains, that do need hot water. You can pretreat it and soak it in hot water. The amount of water needed to fill a bowl or bucket is much less than would be needed to fill up your washing machine. And of course if your clothes were to come in contact with something such as poison ivy, you would need to wash it in hot water. But for the most part you can chill out and live with a clearer conscience knowing that you will cut your annual carbon dioxide emissions by about 320 pounds.

This is just a small sample of what you can do to save money and our world at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment